What is the Presence Function, how to set it and use it
The Presence feature allows you to set your status for your colleagues to see and, based on your status, how your calls are handled.
For example, if you are in a meeting, you can set your status to Away so that calls will be automatically diverted to another extension or to your voicemail. Your status is displayed in your colleague's Presence screen.
In the Presence screen you can see the status of other 3CXPhone users. If, for example, you want to transfer a call to an extension, you can see if that extension is busy before you make the transfer.
Steps to Set Your Presence Status
- Click or tap on the status area in the top left corner.
- From the menu, select your desired status and click on it. On an iOS device press "Done" to apply:
- Out of Office
- Custom #1 – a custom Available status that can be configured when setting forwarding rules.
- Custom #2 – a custom Out of office status that can be configured when setting forwarding rules.
- You may also type a custom status message to go along with your selected status. For example you can set your presence to "Away" and the custom status message to read, "In a business meeting" to provide more information.
Setting a Custom Status
In addition to Presence (Available, Away, Out of Office) you can set a custom status. For example, selecting "Away" and adding "In a meeting".
- For Windows select your status, and click ">". Enter your custom status and click "OK".
- For Android and iOS devices tap your status and enter the custom message in the dialog.
Note: You can set the names of Custom #1 and Custom #2 by pressing ">" and entering the custom presence name.
In or Out of Office?
3CXPhone for Windows is capable of automatically detecting whether you are in or out of office (based on your IP) and will automatically switch to the appropriate setting. You can also change it manually:
- Click on the "In office" button.
- Select "Out of office" from the menu. The In office button should switch to the Out of office button (a house icon) confirming the change.
- Follow the same procedure to switch from "Out of office" to "In Office".
- Click on the "Presence" button in the bottom menu.
- You will see the list with the 3CX Phone System extension groups and their statuses.
- Select the extension that you want to interact with and double click or tap to call or, click on ">" to see Contact Details for more actions.
Setting your Presence Status Automatically
You can have your status set to "Out of office", "Available" or "Away" automatically based on your office hours. This has to be done by the Administrator through the 3CX Phone System Management Console. Ask your administrator about this feature. During office hours you will be logged in as "Available" and when your office hours end your 3CXPhone will switch its status to "Out of office" automatically. You will be logged out of queues and inbound calls will be blocked.
Seeing the Presence/Status of your Colleagues
Presence allows you to check the status of an extension so that you are aware of who is busy, who is available and who is away. This is especially useful when you are dealing with customers and queues as in the case of trying to transfer a customer to another extension. If you can instantly see the status of each agent then you can transfer the call faster and easier.
The presence menu also allows you to interact with other extensions:
Call our Specialist. He can be reached at:Dar ZuchBusiness IT Specialist - CalgaryHelia Technologies